The members of the CHT Board and the CHT Scholarship Committee are pleased to announce the establishment of a Scholarship Program! The link below contain two program documents for your information and use. Please share them with your Guild and fellow fiber enthusiasts.
The initial budget for Scholarships is $650.00 in honor of CHT and its 65th Anniversary (1949 –2014). This budget will be used for more than one scholarship. These scholarships will be announced at the CHT Conference and will also appear in the newsletter.
Please note that there is a firm deadline of no less than 6 weeks prior to the requested event for any application to be considered. Future funding of the CHT Scholarship Program is under discussion and all creative suggestions are welcome!
The members of the CHT Scholarship Program are:
Jenny Barker, Chair — San Antonio Handweavers Guild
Charlene Kolb — Contemporary Handweavers of Houston
Helen Dewolf — Brazos Spinners & Weavers Guild
Sherri W. Coffey — Fort Worth Weavers Guild
Ann Schoen — Palo Duro Handweavers Guild of Amarillo
DeeDee Woodbury, Advisory Member, President CHT
Contemporary Handweavers of Texas Scholarship Program Regulations
Effective Date: March 1, 2015
Revised May 29, 2015
Approved by: Contemporary Handweavers of Texas Board of Directors
Approval Date: May 29, 2015
The CHT Scholarship program has been established to support members of CHT in their pursuit of fiber arts in the state of Texas.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR A SCHOLARSHIP:
- Current members of CHT. Membership in CHT is required by all applicants.
- Students enrolled in fiber or art related programs.
- Current weavers and other fiber art practitioners. Fiber arts includes: Basket making, Crocheting, Dyeing, Felting, Garment making using handmade fabrics, Knitting, Kumihimo, Lacemaking, Spinning, Tapestry, and Weaving.
- Teachers of art and fiber related programs.
- Historians focusing on the craft of weaving for research and teaching.
- Members of the Conference Host Guild are not eligible to apply for scholarships for the CHT Conference hosted by their guild.
- CHT members may not apply for scholarships to activities being hosted by their home guild.
FOCUS OF SCHOLARSHIPS:
- Learning new skills
- Improving existing skills
- Developing a program to teach fiber related classes.
- Funding a workshop attended by multiple people.
SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENT REQUIREMENTS
- Recipient will be required to do at least one of the following in return for their scholarship.
- Write a newsletter article for the CHT Newsletter
- Present a program/workshop at their local guild
- Present a program/workshop at the next CHT Conference
- Present an evening program at the next CHT Art Camp
- Use their new skills to create something for a CHT Conference raffle basket
- Applications must be received or postmarked no later than six (6) weeks prior to the requested event.
- Applications that are not received on time will not be considered.
Applicants must submit the following documents:
- A completed CHT Scholarship Request Form.
- An essay of at least 100 words and no more than 250 words describing how the requested course or activity content is related to fiber arts and how it will impact the applicant
. Application materials should be sent to:
CHT Scholarship Committee
C/O Jenny N. Barker
481 Georg Oaks
Bulverde, TX 78163
Or emailed to: Rhea481@cs.com
The application materials will be reviewed by the members of the CHT Scholarship Committee. If additional documentation is required, the Chairman of the committee will contact the applicant to obtain this information. The committee’s recommendation for awarding of the scholarship and the amount of the scholarship will be presented to the Board of CHT for final approval. Upon completion of the review and approval process the recipient will be notified of final status of their request. Please note that submission of an application for a scholarship is not a guarantee that one will be awarded.
Note: Reimbursement is limited to amount of scholarship awarded and therefore may not cover all expenses.
- Registration for eligible courses.
- Course materials and fees paid to instructor at time of class/workshop.
Note: Travel, food, lodging, and guild or CHT Membership are not considered to be reimbursable expenditures.
Expense reimbursement must be submitted to CHT Scholarship Committee for review, approval, and processing by CHT Treasurer for payment within 30 days after completion of course.
Proof of completion with a signature verifying completion of activity within 30 days of completion.
Expense verification – Original copies of invoices are required.